Who was Glenn Strebel?
Glenn Strebel worked as a part-time police officer in East Dundee, IL from 2006-2009. During his tour of duty he became a truck officer. Glenn was very active in truck enforcement and would have believed in the ITEA motto, “Exceptional Authority Demands Exceptional Accountability”. If there was ever a question about enforcement when Glenn did not know the right answer, he would do the right thing. He would reach out to other truck officers from neighboring police agencies to try and find the right answer instead of writing a bad ticket and moving on.
Unfortunately, Glenn was never able to become a member of the Illinois Truck Enforcement Association. On September 10th, 2009 Glen passed away from a rare cancer at the age of 42. He was not only an excellent police officer, but he retired from the Village of Barrington Fire Department in 2008 as a Lieutenant. The Illinois Truck Enforcement Association was formed to assist officers like Glenn by providing proper training and resources needed to effectively enforce truck laws.
You can read more about Glenn from our blog post date January 18th, 2014.
All sworn ITEA members of a local, county and state law enforcement agencies are eligible. Any member sitting on the ITEA Board of Directors is not eligible for consideration.
Nominations for the 2017 Glenn Strebel Award will open next year on January 1st, 2018. Anyone may submit a nomination to the ITEA, but the nominee must be approved by the Chief Executive or the administrator for the police agency by which the nominee is employed. Nominations shall be submitted online to the ITEA Board of Directors.
2014 – Deputy Andrew Thomas, McHenry County Sheriff’s Office, awarded 07 JAN 2015
2015 – Officer Arthur Fink, Vernon Hills Police Department, awarded 17 MAR 2016
2016 – Officer Tim Sheldon, Hillsboro Police Department, awarded 22 FEB 2017
Presentation of Award
The award will be presented at the 7th Annual ITEA Conference next year. The award recipient and the Chief Executive(s) or administrator(s) will be invited to the awards presentation. The recipient will receive a free one-year membership to the ITEA, paid tuition for the 8th Annual ITEA Conference in 2018, a plaque and other prizes.
- Click HERE to submit an entry (Beginning January 1st, 2018)
- Entries must be based upon the person’s performance from January 1st – December 31st, 2017.
- Nominations must be returned to the ITEA by 31 JANUARY 2018.
- All entries and supporting data become the property of the Illinois Truck Enforcement Association and will not be returned.
- The ITEA Board of Directors will review the entries and determine the selected winner(s).
- Winners will be notified by mail.
- The ITEA reserves the right to publish the names and photographs of the winner and their agencies on our website.